As the COVID-19 lockdown continues, at Scootsy, we are committed to strengthening our safety measures every day. The online delivery of food and groceries has been recognised by the central government as an essential service, and one that helps keep several citizens safe indoors. Additionally, credible bodies like the Food and Safety Standards Authority of India and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have clarified that food hasn’t been found to be a medium of transmission of COVID-19. However, in order to minimise the low risk of transmission through your delivery experience even further, here are a few of the many measures we have implemented:
Delivery Partner Training
To ensure that your order is delivered safely, we regularly send reminders to our delivery partners on best practices of respiratory hygiene, proper method and frequency of hand washing, as well as identification of associated symptoms. A series of videos capturing pertinent details shot in multiple languages is being circulated as a ready reckoner.
Masks for Delivery Partners
We have been working hard to get masks to all our delivery partners through our network of cloud kitchens and partners. We have additionally also created a technology-based solution to check usage of masks by delivery partners before they start delivering every day.
Restaurant Partner Advisory
To facilitate the safe and hygienic preparation of every order, we have shared a detailed advisory with all of our restaurant partners on best practices to be followed. These include hand washing regimes, mandatory temperature checks, use of 3-ply face masks for all staff, self-quarantine measures in case of any illness, and sanitisation facilities for delivery partners at the order pick-up points. In an effort to keep your order protected from any contact during transit, we are also urging partners to pack all orders in separate bags.
Auditing Restaurants with Best Safety Standards
We are working closely with restaurants which we have identified to be taking additional precautionary measures including daily staff testing, maintaining high hygiene standards and safe packaging.
Measures we take to curb the spread
The presence of a few delivery partners on the roads helps keep thousands of Indians safe indoors. In the rare instance of a delivery partner testing positive or displaying symptoms despite following all the safety measures we have in place, here’s what we do to keep you and them safe:
- The infected (or suspected to be infected) delivery partner is immediately asked to stop delivering orders temporarily.
- The delivery partner is redirected to the nearest available doctor to get tested and/or treated. The delivery partner is also immediately quarantined.
- We then identify other delivery partners who were in recent contact with the infected (or suspected to be infected) delivery partner. They too are asked to stop delivering temporarily, are asked to be tested, and made to self-isolate for the recommended period.
- Any customer and restaurant the infected (or suspected to be infected) delivery partner may have come into contact with recently are identified and intimated with the help of local authorities.
- All of the above steps are completed within 24 hours of our being made aware of such an incident.
- Any delivery partner who is temporarily suspended due to Covid-related reasons receives 1.5 times their minimum guaranteed earnings for at least 2 weeks. Income protection and medical insurance programmes are also in place to support them financially.
Simple things you can do to make your food order risk-free
Before & While Receiving Your Order
- Choose Dishes That Are Well Cooked
Avoid ordering dishes which call for raw or undercooked food. Instead, opt for dishes that require high temperatures to be prepared such as pizzas, curries, steamed veggies, baked foods, etc.
- Go Cashless
Pay online so that you can avoid exchanging cash, thus limiting or completely eliminating your contact with multiple people.
- Limit Package Handling to One Person
Ideally, only the person receiving the order/package should handle the package, till the outer packaging has been discarded. It is recommended that elderly people do not handle packages themselves in these times.
After Receiving Your Order
- Discard Outer Packaging & Transfer Your Food
Dispose of outer covers like paper or plastic bags immediately after receiving your food. It is also recommended that you transfer the food from the container to your own vessel before consumption.
- Wash Your Hands
Once the packaging has been discarded, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Repeat before consuming food (and at regular intervals throughout the day).
- Reheat Your Food
High temperatures can kill any potential bacteria or viruses. So, for your safety, we recommend reheating your food before consumption.
Read more about online food ordering and safety measures you can follow, by clicking on the following links: